Thursday, May 21, 2015

GUEST ROOM WORK IN PROGRESS

When people find out that I am an Interior Designer they often assume that we must have a perfectly put together home filled with beautiful brand new furniture.  I wish!  The truth is, like everyone else we have more important things that our money tends to go towards (kids, food, bills, bills, bills) so while I would love to have a house full of Restoration Hardware for now we have to find more thrifty ways to decorate. 
Slowly but surely we are transforming our guest room from a hodge podge of random extras to an actual guest retreat
The soothing wall color is Mindful Gray from Sherwin Williams.  I found these vintage prints at Country Home Furnishings of Cataula recently and couldn't pass up the $15 steal! The frames were a little out dated but nothing some spray paint couldn't fix (I'm obsessed with spray paint).  





I found these pillow covers at Hobby Lobby (another obsession) and instantly brightened up the room from our old black and white motif. The dresser is a hand me down from my grandmother (Hobby Lobby pulls) it needs a little TLC but the size is perfect as a nightstand and it is very functional for extra storage. We try and keep at least two of the drawers empty for guests and use the others for office storage (this room doubles as our office space, I'll share that in a future post). 
I still have plans to paint the mirror but haven't decided on a color. 


The Target lamp shade helped to tie in the teal drapes that I have had since college.  They are in great shape and are the best black out curtains I have ever had so I can't part with them.  I think I originally found them at Pier 1.  I combined two Pinterest ideas to create the "Be our guest" Wifi password frame (more spray paint).  The coasters are from one of our road trips out west and the tray is not only a great place for guests to store tiny odds and ends but was also a wedding gift.  
When we have guests in town I try to put some fresh flowers out, always have clean towels ready and keep a stash of tiny toiletries in case they forgot to pack something.  
This room, like every room in our house is always a work in progress but thankfully our guests are usually pretty understanding.  

No comments: