Friday, March 9, 2012

RETAIL RENO

Design Rendering
Final Product
A little while back I helped a local consignment shop with a quick sprucing up.  Not only was it a very tiny space with A TON of inventory but we had a very short time to get the project done and our budget was only $100!This took a lot of creative design thinking and with no money to hire extra help every project had to be DIY.  My favorite element was the focal wall above the fireplace.  We found the great decorative paper at Ex Libris bookstore in Savannah and mounted it using spray adhesive that we found at a local craft store.  The mirror was a sale item in the shop that can be switched out when it sells with any artwork or mirror.  The branch jewelry display was from my back yard.  No that is not a store name, it is literally from my backyard (don't tell my landlord) and I just spray painted it teal.

Design Rendering
Final Product
 Because of the limited space, this display wall needed to be functional to display merchandise and also as a backdrop for them to photograph merchandise for their website.  The big hearts are part of their logo, the 'drawer' shelves were a side of the road find ( I never pass up free stuff on the side of the road, unless it is bug infested or too big to fit in my car).  I sprayed them white and lined the backs with left over paper from the fireplace wall.  I found the heart hooks at World Market and sprayed them along with the drawer pulls gold.

Design Rendering



This is the easiest and cheapest hat display ever.  It's just a piece of twine hanging from a nail with clothespins holding the hats in place.

More hooks from World Market mounted on an old piece of wood painted white.  I found a guy on Craigslist that was giving away old siding from his house so he didn't have to take it to the dump and I left with as much as I could fit into my trunk.  This stuff came in handy on several projects.  

A little side note about Craigslist- since there are so many creepy people out there I highly suggest taking someone with you and letting a third party know where you are going.  I may watch way too much CSI but it's better to be safe than sorry. 


Here is the old wood again used as shelves.  The brackets were a thrift store find and just needed a coat of paint (they are actually plastic and were a really ugly color before)


Every inch counts when you are working in a tiny space and this display serves double purpose.  Not only did it bring more attention to the hand bags than the previous piled up display but you can see them from the street.  Once again all it took was twine hung from a nail on top of the window frame and clothespins.  I sprayed the clothespins teal and gold to jazz them up a bit.  

One of the biggest $ saving things I did on this project was to use what I already had.  The paint colors were chosen in part because of the companies logo and in part because I had left overs from another project.  I also got a lot of stuff for free and didn't attempt to make anything that I couldn't do myself.  Also, think of things that you can buy in bulk and use in several different places. A roll of twine at Walmart is only a few dollars and goes a long way and a pack of clothespins can be found at a dollar store.   

No comments: