Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Spur of the moment trip to St. Simons

When my husband and I get bored (which is pretty often) we like to just jump in the car and start driving with no particular destination in mind.  We usually start heading down random back roads and then eventually break out the atlas and pick a small town nearby that we haven't been to yet.  Since these aren't planned and we have a puppy to get back to we typically stay within a few hours drive of home but it is amazing the things you can find in your own backyard.  The Army keeps us moving to new places so every few years we get a whole new set of small towns to explore.  

Our most recent jaunt was to a little coastal town about 1 hour and 45 minutes south of Savannah.  St. Simons Island is a place I have heard about often but this was our first encounter with this cute little tourist destination.  It was an overcast day so it wasn't great beach weather but it was perfect for a stroll through the local shops and along the beautiful park overlooking the water.  Since this wasn't a planned trip, I didn't have the fancy camera with us so I snapped a few photos with my cell phone.  We ate lunch in a great outdoor cafe, window shopped the AMAZING stores along the main drag and enjoyed some live acoustic guitar music near the water.  It was a great, cheap day trip but I would love to go back and spend some money in the antique shops.  It has also made me want to include some nautical elements into our home decor.

Are we the only crazy people who take unplanned day trips?  








No comments: